A lot of potential immigrants want to know how they can get a US Visa without being married to an American.

If you fall in love with an American Citizen and marry your partner then the Greencard process is pretty easy and straight forward compared to some other options.

If you aren’t in that situation, your journey may become a little more difficult, but not impossible.

We got a lot of questions around this subject, so let’s summarize the options you have for US Visas without marriage:

1. H- 1B Visa

This is a job-related Visa that is tied to the work you would like to pursue in the United States.

For this type of Visa, you usually need to meet a certain level of expertise in a special profession, work in the Research field (details can be found on the USCIS website) and have a minimum education level (usually a Bachelor’s Degree and higher).

Our tip: Be strategic about your Education & Career Plans! Look for the labor that is highly wanted in the US, and get your degree and experience in this particular field.

Once you have that in your pocket, you may have a higher chance to be accepted for sponsored jobs in the USA.

If this isn’t possible, look for sponsored jobs that look for unique people like you.

For example, organizations that look particularly for people from your country (for language skills reasons, etc.).

You can also look for companies that operate in both your home country and the United States, increasing your chances to potentially be transferred over to the US.

You can find very detailed information about this Visa on the US Government website here.

2. Student Visa

This is a non-immigrant Visa that allows students to attend college/universities in the United States.

This Visa is for educational purposes and usually limits the time a student can stay in the United States.

Again, be strategic about it! Find a College Degree that leads to the jobs that are in high demand and may potentially give you the opportunity to get a sponsored job in the US after graduation!

We have met plenty of international students that got a degree in the US and they either

  • Enjoyed the experience and went home with a quality degree from the US or
  • Wanted to extend their stay in the US and were able to find a sponsored job afterward (Engineering is one example).

We always recommend speaking to a lawyer to discuss your individual situation because Immigration Laws can be complicated and may change at any time!

Great News: You can also get a Student Visa for non-academic purposes. 

For example, vocational schools and English language programs!

You can find more information about this option here.

Also, there is additional information about the Student Visa on the official US Government website here.

3. Investment Visa (E2, E5, etc.)

This Visa allows Investors to stay in the USA if they invest in a business that generates employment opportunities for others living in the US.

This isn’t a viable option for many immigrants because it requires you to have thousands of dollars to invest.

However, it is an option for people that are blessed enough to have that amount of money in the bank account, so we still wanted to mention it.

You can find more information on Investor Visas here.

4. J-1 Visa

The J1 Visa is another non-immigrant visa that allows people to visit the United States for cultural exchange purposes or work-and-study purposes.

Examples for J-1 Visas:

  • Work & Travel Program
  • Teachers
  • The Aupair Program (international nanny’s/babysitters).

You can research more options for this particular Visa here.

5. Green Card Lottery

Did you ever participate in the Green Card Lottery? If not, you should consider it!

There are thousands of immigrants that fulfilled their American Dream and won the Green Card Lottery.

Be aware of scam agencies that make a lot of money from desperate people who want to win a Greencard!

You need to make sure that you use the official website so you don’t pay more than you need to!

The best part: Participating in the Green Card Lottery online is currently free!

Here is the official US Government website that provided you with all the information you need for the process.

6. Refugee & Asylum

Getting Asylum for people that are in danger or experience immediate threats in their home country is another option.

You may qualify if you live in fear or seek protection for the following reasons:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a particular social group
  • Political opinion

You can read more about the Asylum and other options here.

If you would like to learn more about other opportunities and Visa types please visit the official USCIS Website.

Again, We always recommend speaking to a lawyer to discuss your individual situation because Immigration Laws can be complicated and may change at any time!


Your Integr8 USA team ?

Don’t forget to share your personal experiences by tagging us on Instagram, Facebook or contacting us here.

Want to learn more about US Visas and US Citizenship? Check out related articles below:

General US Visa/Citizenship Information

US VISA Process

How to Get US Citizenship & Dual